Sunday, February 15, 2009

all you need is love.

everyone in monterrey right now loves love. i love love too... but i don't love valentine's day. since i have never had an overly romantic valentine's day, i reserve the right to be judgmental of the holiday. while it may be a great opportunity to bask in romance for couples; it really does serve as a huge reminder for us single folks that we are alone. i think i could write a whole book on the amount of love i have to offer, and how sad it makes me feel that i haven't found someone to share it with - but i try my best not to think about it (but i'm clearly struggling this weekend... and i think i'll give in, just for today!)

i guess deep down i thought that by the time i was in my late 20s, i would be at a different point then i am now. i am not saying that expected to have children running around my backyard -- but i thought that my patience through my teenage and university years would have paid off.

do you remember the show 'my so-called life' from the 90s? in this one scene the main character (played by claire danes) is complaining that she doesn't have a love life, and she says:
i always thought i'd have a love life.
but i don't even have a like life.

and the same goes for me! except i'm not in high school anymore.

as with everything, valentine's day celebrations in san pedro go above and beyond. people are selling HUGE foam roses on street corners, enormous balloons fill display windows everywhere, and the kids brought enough candy/cupcakes/chips/pizza to school to feed a small village.

the funny thing is, i don't want the roses, the balloons or the fancy restaurants. i just want a little bit of like, or better yet love, in my life.

No comments: