Monday, August 27, 2007

mexico mishaps.

all in a day's work:

mishap 1: i was invited over to santa catarina for dinner at mike and dean's house. i decided to make a delicious apple crisp for dessert, so i went shopping for all the ingredients and slaved in the kitchen all afternoon. (well, actually, about half an hour, but who's counting) i trekked all the way over to their house and then asked dean to put it in the oven at 350 for 30 minutes... after talking for about 15 minutes, we noticed that the kitchen was starting to smell distinctly like a firezone. dean ran over to the oven only to discover that my crisp was truly a crisp - mostly because it had been cooked at 350 degrees celsius, rather than farenheit. BIG oops, considering that is almost 250 degrees hotter then it should have been! charred black apple crisp. yum.

mishap 2: ginny brought me a mini coffee maker all the way from canada so that i would be able to make myself coffee every morning. the first morning, i set it all up, drank my delicious timmy's and then went on with my day. the NEXT morning, as i picked up the coffee pot to pass it to my friend (also named sarah), it was still boiling hot. not only did i burn her hand, but i also have burnt coffee at the bottom of my coffee pot. not to mention the extreme fire hazard. what a way to go down. 'miss sarah burns down campus on the first day of school'. perfect.

mishap 3: for the first week, almost every day, i would forget about morning recess. i would be giving instructions, and then one of my kids would pipe up, "um. miss? um?" to which i would reply, "not now!" or something to that effect. when really they were only trying to tell ME that it was time to clean up for recess. oops. one time i also forgot to send my kids to p.e. i just got so excited about science! my kids think its hilarious... while their focus this week is to practice following directions, my focus is simply to start paying attention to my plans!

mishap 4: trying to order anything from the cafeteria. to my kids, this is more fun then free candy.

mishap 5: trying to tell the nice man who cleans my classroom that i appreciate all his hard work. i think he thinks i want him to build me a shelf, because he proceeded to show me everything in my classroom that he had built.

mishap 6: the other day, i was taking a cab on my own, and the cab driver was trying to chat me up with broken english, and i was responding in broken spanish. he told me he loves canadians, and he is so happy that i love mexico. do i love mexican tequilla, he asks? of course, i respond. and to my surprise, he reaches under his seat and swings his arm out holding a full bottle of tequilla. a shot, he asks? ONLY in mexico. what hospitality.

1 comment:

Jessie said...

So funny Miss Sarah, so funny.