Wednesday, August 15, 2007

first day.

i survived one day. and as someone reminded me, only 180 to go....

the kids were super cute. and eager. and chatty. and silly. i had such a fun time with them! we have A LOT to learn, and a lot of routines to establish, but i am optimistic. i didn't feel tired until the chaos of dismissal was over, but when i sat down at my desk and looked at all the work i had left to do, i wanted to crawl into bed and sleep for a week. there is so much behind the scenes work in teaching. when you think about the day as a performance, being 'on', that takes preparation! and i am not the kind of person that is going to want to live at school every day. definitely a fine balance.

there was a full staff meeting after school, and the a-team (as the administration likes to refer to themselves as) presented all the new new teachers (as in starting our careers) with a photo of us with our class that they had just taken today! attached was an inspirational message welcoming me to teaching. gave me little warm fuzzies.

one of the assistant vice principals sent us an e-mail this morning that really struck me. he asked, how many nobel prize winners can you name? and how many of your teachers can you name from K-12? the answer is fairly obvious: while teacher's might not change the world, we become a significant part of memory/history for children who end up growing up and moving all around the world. and it is up to us how we choose to be remembered. food for thought.

3 memorable quotes from my first official day on my own in the classroom:

"miss, you MUST learn spanish, or you will not survive in monterreY!" (me: thanks for reminding me)

"miss, are you in love? you are in love!" (me: i wish)

"miss, you have a tattoo!" (me: oh shit.)

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

so ... have they noticed the tongue ring yet?

barrhavenmum