Saturday, April 28, 2007

the end of an era.

apparently i am now officially a teacher.

i don't know how a year of making crafts gives me that priviledge, but i won't turn it down. we finished off the program by handing in the piles of assignments that we had due, but other than that, it was fairly anti-climatic. unlike finishing undergrad, where a huge wave of relief hit me as i walked out of my last exam, finishing teacher's college was like any other day. except for the fact that i was sick and ended up going to bed for six hours... what a way to celebrate!

being in kingston today was weird. walking around a city that has been so central to my life for the last six years. so much has changed. it is crazy to think about how long six years is, but how quickly it went by. six years ago i had never been backpacking, i had never failed a test, and i didn't know any of my university friends. but kingston no longer feels like home. i don't think it has really felt like home since all of my friends left. a place is more than just buildings and cool restaurants, it is the people that you share your time with that makes it feel comfortable.

so. i am sitting writing this in the sleepless goat, my cafe/hangout of the last few years. part of me wonders if i will ever be back. perhaps i will visit, but i will never be the me i am now, living the type of lifestyle i have been living. now that i am a teacher, my sleeping hours, my habits, many of them will have to change. i can't stay up until 2am and be ready to teach by 8.

i am not stressed, or worried about this transition phase, because i think i have been ready for a long time. but there is always a bit of nostalgia when i realize that i am growing up.

1 comment:

alyss said...

did I tell you I had more nostalgia this weekend with you and Cait and my bro, than I did when I left queen's? maybe because when I left, half my friends were still there and I knew I wasn't done with ktown yet! Now, it feels very different. I know what you mean about a place being more than just buildings and streets.