Sunday, October 18, 2009

a birthday message to granny.

Happy Birthday to you all the way from Mexico!

When I was sitting down to write a message to you, I was immediately reminded of one of my favorite kids book. It is a lovely story about a woman who is thrown a surprise 90th birthday party by her two sons, three daughters, fourteen grandchildren and thirty-five great-grandchildren. While at the party, one of her great-children whispers to her, “Are you really ninety, great-grandma?” The woman smiles and answers back, “Inside I’m only four-and-a-half, like you… but don’t tell anyone!”

Every time I read this book I am reminded of you, Granny. In fact, this story could be starring you! I have always admired your adventurous spirit and how young you are at heart. In a way, I often feel like a younger version of you. Over the years, as I have heard your stories, I began to realize that not many people have lived 90 years as vivaciously as you! I don’t know a lot of 90 year olds who know how to e-mail, who can still beat anyone at a game of scrabble, or who would consider going on a road trip to the East Coast.

I am sad that I will not be there to celebrate your 90th, but as you have shown us all – growing older is mandatory, but growing up is not. Happy Birthday to you Granny, 90 years in age, but 4 and a half in spirit!

Love from your kindred spirit,
Sarah

No comments: